1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Marion County
  4. »About
  5. »Extension History

Marion County

Extension History

Established in 1914, Cooperative Extension is a national educational network designed to extend technical expertise and research findings to help people improve their homes, families, farms, business and communities. Today Extension is the largest, most successful informal educational organization in the world.

1862    The Morrill Act was passed paving the way for a land-grant university in every state.

1863    Bluemont College was renamed the Kansas State Agriculture College.

1887    The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station was created at Kansas State Agriculture College.

1914    The Smith-Lever Act created the Cooperative Extension Service

1959    The official university name was changed to Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

1996    The Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station and Kansas Cooperative Extension Service merged to form the Kansas State University Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service (K-State Research and Extension).